In those boring half-terms there are plenty of places in Brum to bring the kids for a day out, and not all of them are eye wateringly expensive. Here are a few things you should consider…
- The Sea Life Centre – for some watery zoological fun.
- The Big Brum Bus – an open top bus tour around the city centre and surrounding sub-districts like the Jewellery Quarter.
- Museum of the Jewellery Quarter.
- The Back to Backs – let the National Trust show the kids how we used to live.
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery – from Romans to Egyptians, this is a free must-see.
- The Old Rep Theatre – often show children’s plays.
- Thinktank at Millennium Point – this interactive science museum takes you from the invention of the steam engine to the personal computer.
- The Giant Screen at Millennium Point – see the latest 2D and 3D blockbusters in IMAX glory.
- Treasure Hunt around Birmingham.
- Botanical Gardens – run riot in this plush inner-city paradise, take a look around the hot houses and at the exotic birds, and munch a picnic.
- Edgbaston Nature Centre – this place has has a range of small animals to gawp at from owls to wallabies. The kids are bound to love it!
- Edgbaston Reservoir – a lovely place for a walk and a picnic, or to take part in some water sports.
- Ice Skating and Bowling at The Leisure Box, Digbeth.