The big day will soon be upon us, and bookings for Christmas lunches, dinners, drinks, and other activities are already open at many of the city’s hotspots, so here’s the low down of great things to organise for partying with your friends and colleagues.
The number of venues offering an activity other than boozing in the city centre has risen dramatically over the past couple of years. Why not use your Christmas party as an opportunity for some team building and socialising that doesn’t need to be white wine fuelled? OK, you can have the wine after you’ve had some imposed jollities…
- Axe Throwing @ Whistle Punks – Unleash your inner lumberjack and compete with your colleagues or even in the national league. https://whistlepunks.com/, Holloway Head, B1 1QP.
- Escape Rooms @ Escape Live – Get locked up with your team and work through puzzles to make your escape. https://www.escapelive.co.uk/, Henrietta Street, B19 3PS
- Table Tennis @ Serve – Food, drink, disco, and…… table tennis. https://www.servebirmingham.co.uk/, Temple Row, B2 5LS
- Crazy Golf @ Ghetto Golf – Grab some street food with a cocktail or two and play a round on this funky (and slightly rude) Digbeth hangout. https://www.ghettogolf.co.uk/, Gibb Street, B9 4AA
- Bowling & more @ Lane 7 – Eats, drinks, and bowling, plus shuffleboard, retro arcade games, mini golf, and beer pong. https://lane7.co.uk/birmingham/, B1 1RN
- Darts @ 180 Club – What’s more fun than throwing little pointed sticks while having a beer and realising that the FD’s mental arithmetic isn’t what it could be? http://www.180club.co.uk/, St Paul’s Square, B3 1QS
Independent Food and Drinks
There is definitely a place for restaurant chains, and we have many good ones in the city (who doesn’t love a Nandos, cheeky or otherwise) but we love the energy and enthusiasm that comes from owner operated independents and these are some of our favourites which are perfect for festive fun!
- Whisky Tasting @ Birmingham Whisky Club – Try tots of the of the world’s finest whiskies with great instruction from the very knowledgeable staff. https://thebirminghamwhiskyclub.co.uk/, Vyse Street, B18 6HA
- Wine Tasting @ Loki Wine – Not sure how to drink wine? The team here will see you right, and once you’ve learned about it they’ll let you loose on the wine tasting machines. https://www.lokiwine.co.uk/, Great Western Arcade, B2 5HU
- Street Food @ Digbeth Dining Club – Can’t all decide what you want to eat? Why not spend an evening at Digbeth dining club trying one of the dozens of vendors offering everything from Thai to Toasties. http://www.digbethdiningclub.co.uk/, Digbeth, B9 4AG
If you’re after more traditional options (though I have no truck with turkey and tinsel being a necessity) then maybe lunch or dinner at one of these:
- Pint Shop – Christmas lunch with wine plus twenty draft beers and dozens of bottles. http://pintshop.co.uk/, Bennetts Hill, B2 5SN
- Fazenda – Perfect for larger groups this new Brazilian offers traditional rodizio style dining in an elegant dining room, and has delicious pescatarian and vegetarian options too. https://fazenda.co.uk/, Barwick Street, B3 2AA
- Opus Restaurant – Stalwart of the Birmingham dining scene they’re sure to offer you a swanky dinner. https://www.opusrestaurant.co.uk/, Cornwall Street, B3 2DE
- Pure Craft – Modern bar with good food. https://www.purecraftbars.com/, Waterloo Street, B2 5TJ
- JuJu’s Cafe – Dining here comes complete with a hug from wonderful and charismatic owner Julia. https://www.jujuscafe.co.uk/, Canal Square, B16 8EH